FIGURE OF SPEECH2

Hyperbole

pronounced: hy-PER-buh-lee
 
Give me a thousand kisses, then a hundred,
Then another thousand, then a second hundred,
Then still another thousand, then a hundred
Catullus

Hyperbole is a figure of speech that uses an exaggerated or extravagant statement to create a strong emotional response. As a figure of speech it is not intended to be taken literally. Hyperbole is frequently used for humour. Examples of hyperbole are:
  • They ran like greased lightning.
  • He's got tons of money.
  • Her brain is the size of a pea.
  • He is older than the hills.
  • I will die if she asks me to dance.
  • She is as big as an elephant!
  • I'm so hungry I could eat a horse.
  • I have told you a million times not to lie!
The media and the advertising industry often use hyperbole (which may then be described as hype or media hype).

Komentar

Postingan populer dari blog ini

Analisis Tata Bahasa Kasus (Case Grammar)

Perbedaan Bahasa antara Jawa Indonesia dan Jawa Suriname”

Kegiatan menempel kapas pada gambar kambing atau domba